The S.M.S Leitha served in the Monarchy’s Navy between 1872 and 1918, and was first put on water in 1871. It was first put into action in 1876 and was also involved in the First World War. The ship was demobilized in 1918, but during times of the Council Republic it was militarized again. Its final retirement as a war ship came in 1921, when it was used as an elevator ship at constructions along the river. The ship has been preserved since 1992. In 2009, it was reconstructed into its 1887 state and since 2010 functions as a museum.